Monday, April 19, 2010

To blog or not to blog

I've been lazy about blogging lately for a variety of reasons (including watching an unfortunately large number of movies about bloggers), such as:

1) Script Frenzy is upon us! I find the 100 page script goal to be much more attainable than the 45,000 words necessary to complete NaNoWriMo. I usually zip right through the dialogue in my prose, so it makes sense that I'd be a speedy playwright. I really enjoy the challenge of creating tension and movement in a scene with only the one tool - speech - at my disposal. I have a tendency to be a tad over-descriptive in my prose, a problem that is easier to avoid while staying true to each character's voice. During my undergrad in Montreal, I spent years helping my roommate find the perfect Stanislavsky verbs for her lines in acting classes, and it's all coming back to me now. I'm not at the half-way point yet, but I'm anticipating a surge of creative energy to kick in about the same time I run out of job prospects to apply to. So even if I'm still sans job, I can be like every other unemployed English major and start toting a manuscript around with me.

2) The employment scene in my area is picking up! Meaning I'm spending less time every day lying in bed thinking about how to turn a crack in the ceiling into a blog entry (haiku? Social commentary? Image?), and more time actually applying to jobs. Even if my best prospects so far have involved a drive through window or cleaning the aforementioned window at the end of the day, it's still a nice change.

Though, thanks to McGill's ever-so-helpful suggestions for future career paths, I did write-off a crossword puzzle book as a job-hunting expense.

3) The Tournament of Books was killer this year, and I'm trying to figure out how to fit another 1000+ pages of reading into my life right now. I'm going to start with Mantel's Wolf Hall, because I just read Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible, and even Thomas Cromwell's life story has to be more uplifting than that. Sorry, Barbara. I'll get to The Lacuna one day. Somehow, I have a feeling your sales figures will do just fine without me.

No comments:

Post a Comment